Chana biryani is a very flavorful rice recipe prepared by adding soaked rice to spicy mint flavored chana mixture and cooked to perfection. This rice recipe is a very favorite recipe and also very old recipe of mine which I made after years today for lunch. It is easy to prepare and the addition of mint cilantro paste adds more flavors and enhances the taste of this biryani. So lets get to the making!
[sam id=”1″ codes=”true”]
- Basmati rice – 2 cups
- Chana / Chickpea – 1 cup
- Onion – 1
- Ginger garlic paste- 1 tsp
- Red chili powder- 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder- ½ tsp
- Coriander powder- ½ tsp
- Curd – ¼ cup
- Oil- 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
Ingredients To grind
- Mint – ½ cup
- Cilantro – ½ cup
- Green chili – 2
- Bay leaf – 1
- Star anise – 1
- Clove – 2
- Cinnamon stick – ½
- Fennel seeds – 1/4 tsp
How to make chana biryani with step by step images
- Soak chana overnight and pressure cook it for 2 whistles. Drain the water and keep it aside.
- Wash and soak rice in water for 20 minutes. Slice onions thin.
- In a blender add mint, cilantro and green chili. Grind it adding just a tbsp of water and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan add whole spices when aromatic add sliced onions; Saute well. Now add ginger garlic paste to it and saute until the raw smell goes.
- Add ground mint cilantro mixture and mix well. When the raw smell of mint and cilantro goes add cooked chana, red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala and salt. Mix everything well and saute for a minute.
- Add curd to the chana mixture and mix well. When everything is well incorporated add soaked rice and water. Mix everything well, and transfer it to electric rice cooker and cook till done.( If using pressure cooker cook for 3 whistles).
- Serve it hot with onion raita!
- Always remember to soak rice before making biryani. This will help achieve long grains.
- When the biryani is done allow it to rest for 5 minutes and then take the rice from the sides. This method will help the grain to be retain its shape textured.
- The above recipe is prepared according to my family tastes and preferences.