Masala puri/ Masala poori is a delicious chaat / Indian snack popular in southern part of India. Masala puri a combination of many items is prepared with golgappa puri as base which is topped with yellow peas spicy gravy and garnished with onion, ompodi and cilantro for added flavors and taste. This snack that I am talking here is something people who grew up in south India would have craved so much and one among them is my hubby, so whenever I make it at home he gets so nostalgic as he will be reminded of his childhood days.
So if you read my yesterday post then you would surely know that today’s post is a continuity post, yes now we know how to make golgappa puri now this recipe is very easy to make as the gravy is the only thing that needs to be prepared and is very similar to regular cooking involving all those ingredients that we use everyday in our kitchen. I will rate this recipe beginner one as golgappa puri can be store bought too. So if you are staying abroad and missing this delish snack, then I should say this recipe will make it all better and you will be reminded of your golden days associated with masala puri. So lets get to the making!
If you missed yesterday post golgappa puri click below for recipe:
- Golgappa puri – 3 to 4 per plate
Ingredients For gravy
- Yellow peas – 1 cup
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 2
- Green chilli – 2
- Ginger garlic paste – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Red chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Cumin powder – ¼ tsp
- Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander powder – ¼ tsp
- Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp
- Fennel seeds – ¼ tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
Ingredients For garnish
* 1 cup = 160 ml
How to make Masala puri with step by step images
- Wash and soak yellow peas in enough water overnight. In the morning pressure cook the soaked yellow peas adding little salt for 3 to 4 whistles. When the pressure has subsided remove the lid and drain the water from the peas. Reserve the water as it will be used in making the gravy. Now keep the cooked yellow peas aside.
- Chop onion, tomatoes and green chilli finely. Keep it aside. Heat oil in a pan add chopped onion and green chilli. Saute well. When the onions look sauteed add ginger garlic paste. Saute well till the raw flavor goes.
- When the raw smell of ginger garlic paste has gone add chopped tomatoes, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, coriander powder and salt. Mix well and allow the tomatoes to cook.
- When the tomatoes look cooked and mushy add the cooked yellow peas and saute well for few seconds. Now add water that was used for cooking yellow peas and mix well. Now allow the mixture to boil well in medium flame until the gravy thickens a little. We don’t want the gravy to be very thick nor watery, but in between like a gravy. When desired consistency is reached put off the flame and keep it aside.
- Now take plate place 3 to 4 golgappa puri. Crack it little and pour 1 cup of hot yellow peas gravy over it. you can add less or more gravy according to your preference.
- Now garnish it with some chopped onion, cilantro, ompodi and some crumbled puri for crunchiness. Serve it immediately.
If you like the recipe do leave your feedback in the comments section as it will encourage me to post many more good recipes. Thank you!