Egg puffs is a very crispy and flaky snack where spicy egg mixture is wrapped with pastry sheet and baked to perfection. Egg puffs are very popular bakery snack in India which has its unique texture and taste. I started making my own puffs with homemade pastry sheets since the time I came to USA and kept trying for an easy and simple puff pastry sheet recipe but every time they failed, may be more that 20 times. Now I have 2 puff pastry sheet recipe one is little time consuming method (which I haven’t posted) and the other one is little easy and takes just 15 minutes to make thought not yielding too many layers but results in decent layers and 100% flaky puffs. I am still perfecting my puff pastry sheet recipe but for now thought to update the blog with a very basic puffs made with homemade puff pastry sheet to help my beginner friends. You can doubt why don’t I just buy pastry sheets from store? I like to prepare things from scratch mostly the baked goods as it gives me some kind of happiness, so if you are like me then go ahead try this puffs recipe with homemade puff pastry sheets. So lets get to the making!
Below is the recipe link for pastry sheet:
[sam id=”1″ codes=”true”]
- Homemade puff pastry sheets – 4
- Egg- 2
- Onion- 1 (big sized)
- Ginger garlic paste- ½ tsp
- Red chilli powder- ½ tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder- ¼ tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Curry leaves- a spring
- Water- ¼ cup
- Oil- 1 tsp
- Milk – 1/4 cup (for milk wash)
* 1 cup = 160 ml
[sam id=”2″ codes=”true”]
how to make egg puffs with step by step images
- In a pot add water and gently place the eggs in it. Allow it to boil well and cook the eggs. When the eggs look cooked drain the water. When the eggs are warm enough to handle, crack the eggs on the counter top and peel the eggs and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan add cumin seeds, when it crackles add curry leaves and thinly sliced onion. Saute well and add ginger garlic paste. Saute till the raw smell goes.
- Now add red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and salt. Mix well. After few minutes when the raw smell of masala powder has gone add ¼ cup water. Mix well and cook till the mixture gets dry. Put off the flame and keep it aside. Preheat oven at 375 F.
- Now take one pastry sheet place some onion mixture in the middle of the pastry. Now cut each egg into 2 pieces and place one one half on the onion mixture in a way the yolk is faced down.
- Now join 2 diagonal edges and press it well. Now bring the remaining 2 diagonal sides to the center and seal the center tight. This is one shape.
- Bring 2 diagonal edges to the center and press it well. Leave the remaining 2 edges as it is and this method will create another shape. (you can choose either of the shape or create your own as well)
- Now place a parchment paper on a baking tray, place the puffs on the parchment paper and milk wash it using a basting brush. (Dip the brush in milk and apply it over puffs. The process is known as milk wash)
- Now place the baking tray in preheated oven and bake at 375 F for 20 to 25 minutes or until you see the puffs in golden color with flaky texture.
- When done remove the baking tray from the oven and serve it hot!