Red velvet cupcake is a red colored soft, spongy and moist cupcake that is usually topped with white frosting/ icing which adds to the taste and makes it look eye catchy. This red velvet cupcake / cake is usually made during Valentines day/ Christmas due to its color and I think it really sets the mood. Red velvet cupcake can be prepared with or without egg and can be naturally colored in a healthy way or colored using edible food color. This red velvet cake is an eggless and healthy recipe with natural color attained by adding beetroot puree and cocoa powder to give it a beautiful color, taste and also make it a healthy one. I usually bake this cupcake only during valentines day as its my hubby’s favorite cupcake, though I am not a big fan of beetroot this particular cupcake can make anyone fall prey for its taste.
This red velvet cupcake is delicious to eat and easy to bake as it has only handful ingredients in its making which is a plus for those who are still thinking of how to surprise your loved ones. Most important thing to mention i have added frosting to this cupcake in a way i like it and it is not necessary and also i am not a professional or expert in frosting hence i do it every year just for this cupcake. So do skip that part in the making if not interested. So lets get to the making!
- Beetroot puree – ¾ cup or 1 small beetroot
- All purpose flour – 1 ¼ cup
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Unsweetened Cocoa powder – 1½ tbsp
- Sugar – ¾ cup
- Milk – ¼ cup
- Oil – ¼ cup
- Vanilla syrup – 1 tsp
- Red colored sugar – as needed (for decoration)
Ingredients For frosting
- Whipped cream – ½ pint
- Icing sugar -1/2 cup
- Vanilla extract – ½ tsp
How to make red velvet cupcake with step by step images
- Wash, peel and chop beetroot into big chunks.
- Boil water in a pot and add beetroot chunks and cook it in the boiling water with lid on. When the beetroot looks cooked put off the flame and allow it cool down. Do not discard water as it will be needed while making puree.
- When the beetroot has cooled down add to the blender and grind it into puree without any chunk. I used 1/3 cup water that I used for boiling it to make puree. Now transfer the puree to a bowl and keep it aside.
- Preheat oven at 350 F. Now in a wide bowl add all purpose flour and baking powder. Mix well.
- Now add cocoa powder to the flour mixture and mix well using a whisk or spoon. Now keep this flour mixture aside.
- Now in another wide bowl add sugar, vanilla syrup and oil. Mix well using whisk or spoon until combined.
- Now add beetroot puree and mix well until combined.
- Now add ¼ cup milk and mix well. If you feel your mixture is too watery cut down milk and if you feel you mixture is little thick add little more milk accordingly.
- Now add the flour mixture to it and mix well until a perfect cake batter is formed.
- Now place the cupcake liners in muffin/ cupcake pan.
- Now pour batter in each cupcake liner. I filled each of my cupcake liner with 2/3 batter. Now place the cupcake pan inside the preheated oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or till done.
- When the cupcakes have risen insert a toothpick in the center of the cupcake, if it comes out clean its baked perfectly, if you see batter in it bake for some more time accordingly.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool down by placing it in cooling rack. When it looks cooled down serve it.
Directions For frosting
- In a wide bowl add ½ pint whipped cream. Using a hand blender beat the cream adding gradually icing sugar and vanilla syrup it while beating . Whip until it looks light and thick in consistency.
- Now add the whipped cream frosting immediately to the pastry bag/ piping bag with nozzle of your choice and create designs of your choice on the cupcake. I tried making rose shape, but you can make any design of your choice. i added colored sugar to decorate. Serve it!