Channa masala or chole masala is a spicy, tangy and masala flavored dish usually accompanied with batura. Channa masala is prepared by adding soaked and cooked white channa to spicy and tangy onion tomato mixture then cooked till everything is combined into thick gravy. This recipe is very simple to prepare and very delicious too. This preparation requires soaking of channa overnight and also grinding of channa into paste to thicken gravy. So lets get to the making!
[sam id=”1″ codes=”true”]
[sam id=”2″ codes=”true”]
How to make channa masala with step by step images
- Wash and soak channa overnight. Pressure cook it for 2 – 3 whistles. Drain the water from channa in a separate bowl to be used for gravy. Chop onions, tomato and green chili.
- In a blender add cooked channa, a tbsp chopped onion and chopped tomato and grind it to a paste. ( This will help the gravy to thicken).
- Heat oil in a pan add bay leaf and cumin seeds after it splutters add chopped onions and green chili. Saute well then add ginger garlic paste and saute until the raw flavor goes.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and all the dry powders including salt. Mix well and saute till the tomatoes get mushy.
- Now add the ground channa mixture to it and combine everything together. Now add cooked white channa and add water. Mix well and allow it to boil and when it reaches desired consistency put off the flame.
- Serve it hot with bhatura!