Palathalikalu is a sweet recipe prepared by adding steamed rice flour noodles in boiling milk coconut mixture. Palathalikalu is usually prepared during shankranti, ganesh chathurthi and polala amavasya. This recipe involves grinding of coconut and cashews. Though this recipe involves lot of steps in its making it is very delicious recipe and more appetizing than the regular payasam. So lets get to the making!
To make rice flour noodles
- Rice flour – 1 cup
- Water – 1 1/4 cup
- salt – a pinch
Ingredients To grind
- Coconut – 1/4 cup
- Cashews – 6
- Milk – 2 cup
- Water – ½ cup
- Powdered jaggery – 1 cup
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Cashew – 4
- Cardamom powder – ¼ pinch
How to make Palathalikalu with step by step images
- Take water in a pan and add a pinch of salt to it. When the water starts boiling reduce the flame and add rice flour in it and mix well without forming any lumps and put off the flame. It will form an improper dough leaving the sides of the pan.
- When the rice flour mixture is warm knead it with your fingers to form a perfect dough.
- Now take the murruku presser and fit the above shown disc template in it.
- Grease the steaming plate with oil then pinch a portion of dough and place it in the murukku presser. Now rotate the handle and make layers in circular motion.
- Now heat water in a steamer and place the steaming plate in it. Steam it for 15 mins. When done remove from steamer and keep it aside.
- Meanwhile, take a blender add coconut and cashew. Grind it into smooth paste adding little water.
- In a pan add milk and water when it boils add jaggery in it and mix well. Then add coconut paste and cardamom powder in it and mix well. Allow it to boil.
- Make steamed noodles into pieces and add it in the milk mixture and put off the flame after one boil.
- Now heat ghee in a small pan and fry cashews until golden brown and add it to the palthaligalu and serve it hot or cold!