Idiyappam or string hopper is made by pressing rice flour dough in presser like noodles and then steamed. It is a popular food in Tamil Nadu and Kerala. This is a very easy recipe and usually make this at home from scratch and do not buy instant ones from store as I have seen my mom make this since my childhood and love to follow her. This dish is usually served at my home with vegetable kurma and coconut milk. So lets get to the making!
- Rice flour – 1 cup
- Water – 1 ¼ cup
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Oil to grease steaming plate
How to make Idiyappam with step by step images
- Pour water in a pan and add salt to it. When the water starts boiling reduce the flame and add rice flour in it and mix well without forming any lumps and put off the flame. It will form an improper dough leaving the sides of the pan.
- When the rice flour mixture is warm knead it with your fingers to form a perfect dough.
- Now take the murukku presser and fit the above shown disc template in it.
- Grease the steaming plate with oil then pinch a portion of dough and place it in the murukku presser. Now rotate the handle and make layers one over the other in circular motion.
- Now heat water in a steamer and place the steaming plate with uncooked idiyappam in it. Steam it for 15 mins. When done remove it from steamer and serve it hot with kurma and coconut milk.